If you don't mind doing away with the rat once caught use leg hold traps. Bait them and place them in a stovepipe wedged against a wall. This is the only thing that my parents have fund to control their pack-rat problem
Personally I dont use poison as you never quite know where it will end up or what it will affect, also think its a horrible way for any animal to die.
Instead use stable cats plus very cheap, snap traps baited with chocolate raisins, they cant resist them. One snap and theyre dead, much better than miserable lingering end :)