I agree with the previous answers but I'd also recommend signing a contract! Discuss who will pay any bills, can you have a photocopy of passport, what happens should the horse be injured and no longer ridable, i.e. Money or a replacement horse of similar calibre, length of time for notice if you wish to terminate the lease etc!
There's a few things you should ask really;
- Previous medical history.
- Any ongoing ailments or health issues.
- Is the horse shod or unshod.
- What is their reason for the horse going onto loan.
- What's the horses behaviour like when stabled, ridden in the arena, ridden out hacking, on his own & with other horses.
- What's the horse like to load & travel.
- What's the horse like to clip, shoe/with farrier, with the vet, dentist.
- Is the horse up to date with all routine health checks.
- Has the horse got any history of bucking, napping, rearing, spinning or bitting.
- Does the horse have any vices i.e. Crib biting, wind sucking, weaving etc.
- What are you expectations of the horse when out on loan.
- What are you happy for the horse to partake in.
- Anything that you wouldn't want the horse to do.
- Does the horse go out into a mixed herd or not.